On 01/04/2011 08:25 AM, しげっち wrote:
> Hi, all.
> I'm recently implementing a GUI features that is inspired by the ideas
> of the GIMP UI brainstorming.
> I hope these features to be included or merged into the master branch
> in some future.
> So I inform you the patch here.
> If you're interested in the patch, please discuss about it.
> The patch is maintained by git, and published at following site.
> http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=summary
> This patch implement several features like:
> * horizontal toolbar with many tool options.
>    (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/07/blog-post.html or
> http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/07/gimpscape.html)
> * much sophisticated brush panel
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/12/brush-panel.html)
> * dynamics editor with side tabs
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/12/brush-dynamics-curves.html)
> * vertical dock and image tabs for single window mode.
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2010/10/vertical-menu.html)
> * dock folding features. I think this feature is necessary for single
> window mode.
> This patch is based on the current master branch of the
> git://git.gnome.org/gimp.
> It modified many source code of the existing codes, but it does not
> delete any features that is available in the master branch.
> Thanks,
> --
> sigetch.

Hi sigtech

That's some very interesting work and we should work on merging what
makes sense to merge to GIMP git master. A word of warning though: not
everything posted on the gimp-brainstorm blog is suitable to be actually
implement in GIMP, so all your patches might not make sense to merge.

A couple of early comments on your code:

Add toolbar for tool-options to GimpImageWindow.

Rather than adding a widgets at the top of the GimpImageWindow taking up
precious horizontal image space, we should work on moving tool options
to on-canvas in an elegant way. Adding another tool-options area gives
less space for image content and more space is taken by widgets, which
is not the best trend.

- G-Pen algorithm is ported into GIMP trunk. Now smoothing function
works for Ink...

Looks like something we might want, some paint tool hacker should look
closer at it. Alexia? Mitch?

Initial import of color blending function for smudge tool.

It doesn't look like you change shade_pixels() and shade_region() in a
backwards compatible way. Don't you break other things with that change?
Otherwise it looks like a change we would want to merge. It would be a
good idea to split this commit up so that there is one commit per
bullet-point in your commit message.

* Some parameters in the toolbar can be edited using popup editor.

If I understand your code correctly, you are replacing big widgets with
smaller widgets that "expand" when you use them. Worth looking into further.

* GimpDock:  GIMP dock column folding is implemented.

Another interesting change, I'll look closer at it when I get back at
hacking on single-window mode.

[various bug fixes and additions to earlier commits]
For review purposes, it would be good if you squashed fixup-commits with
commits they fix, so upstream reviewers just need to review one patch.

Best regards,

My GIMP Blog:
"Nightly GIMP, GEGL, babl tarball builds"