I guess most of you noticed that several people blogged about the fact
that GIMP 2.8 has not yet been released even though the schedule that
Martin published a while ago estimated that this would have happened by
the end of 2010. As far as I can see this is the article that started it

And this post suggested that donating to the GIMP project could help us
to achieve our goal of releasing GIMP 2.8 earlier:

I just wanted to let you know that we have seen a dramatic increase in
donations since then. More than 120 people donated over the last 8 days
and sent us about 2,500 dollars. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
discuss how we can actually use this money to make the GIMP 2.8 release
happen soon...