Thanks Sven and Ek

I wasn't sure; I've been trying to use macports libraries as much as

So I've uninstalled all of the older  gtks and x11s installed XQuartz
2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.3)
then gtk2
/opt/local/bin/pkg-config --modversion  gtk+-2.0 says 2.22.1

The problem persists, but I've noticed its not all combo boxes only
those within dockable dialogues.The file type dropdown, pixel size and
all of the combo boxes in the preferences panes work fine.

I then set dyld to print libraries and found that then combo boxes
within gtk-demo and pygtk-demo work fine (all started from the X11
xterm) and use

  dyld: loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
  dyld: loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.0.dylib

as does my compiled gimp....

I'll try to delve into the differences between the combos that work and
those that don't

All sugestions welcome!