On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM, ronald.arvids...@privat.utfors.se
<ronald.arvids...@privat.utfors.se> wrote:
> >snip< I though would like to urge you to fix the 16 bit depth
> asap. Its true that many end figure don't have 16 bit/channel but
> before you get there its a VERY good thing to have. particularly for us
> who edit photos with a large dynamic range.

GIMP developers have been painfully aware that this is a serious
short-coming of the current architecture for the last decade. There is
no need to reiterate this :).

Besides what needs fixing is the 8bit per component limitation, 16
bits/component isn't how it will be fixed though. The internal
processing will jump straight to 32bit floating point allowing HDR
processing and other advantages.

/Øyvind Kolås
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/