Thanks for the info.  I have used that filter many times, and I will take a
look at what you describe.

When light is cast against a 3D mesh, how that light diffuses over the
surface can also be affected by whether the ray caster is using "vector
normals", or "face normals", and other things.  So, triangle size might just
be part of the problem.