On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 13:59 -0500, Christopher Curtis wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Liam R E Quin <l...@holoweb.net> wrote:
> > Yes, perhaps it might be nice if the key to get the eraser was the same
> > in inkscape and gimp and blender and gedit and krita and mypaint, but it
> > could no longer be "E" because that inserts text in gedit, so we'd end
> > up using conrtol-shift-e or something. But that's already Export in gimp
> > now, and what if it does something in Blender?
> I don't know if you're intentionally setting up a stawman here, but
> inkscape is a vector editor, blender is a 3D modeler, and gedit is a
> text editor.  These applications aren't in the same domain as GIMP and
> MyPaint.

Actually no, I'm being entirely serious - they are often used together,
just as Photoshop and Illustrator are used together. (and gedit, like
GIMP and Inkscape, is a GNOME program, hosted on www.gnome.org)

> So all I'm suggesting is that instead of simply producing PhotoShop
> keybindings (which is a fine idea, IMO) that an interested person
> actually look at the broader picture to see if there is any
> accelerator convergence among peer applications and propose bringing
> GIMP into alignment where it makes sense to do so.

I'm actually Ok with this. But we have to agree what we mean by "peer
applications" - I'd say gimp and inkscape are, for example, and not gimp
and photoshop.