On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 01:43 +0100, Bogdan Szczurek wrote:
>> The thing is, that we concluded that permamenet transition or even
>> occasional use of Gimp would be much more appealing for Ps-bred guys
>> (like me ;)) if one would have possibility to use the same (or at least
>> much similar) keyboard shortcuts.
> There's some danger here -- as people in Germany found when they
> compared moving to KDE or Gnome from Windows: when the new system is too
> similar to the old, people start going into automatic mode, and trip up
> much more over the differences.

This came up at linux.conf.au this week. I had a chance to talk with a couple
of users and graphic designers about UI, including the issue of being made
similar to Adobe products. The almost immediate response was that if the
program is not going to behave *exactly* as the Adobe one does, in smallest
detail, then it is far better to have an explicitly distinct UI.

Being "close" just leaves the end user with a vague feeling of incompleteness
and that the software is not really ready for serious use.

> Given those things, I'd prefer to provide a really good "Libre Graphics
> for Photoshop Users" that talks also about when to use GIMP and when to
> use Inkscape, ImageMagick, darktable (if you can figure the damn thing
> out).  The "default image" in krita is one good example of how to give
> useful information, even though I'd still prefer a blank image.
> So, how about Help->Getting Started ? I'll help write it, if there's
> agreement that it could be included.

Artists and designers I get to talk to have stated that such guides would be
very good ideas, and could avoid much of the call for compatible keybindings,
etc. It also would be very helpful if some common Adobe-user use cases that
were more complex in Photoshop yet easier in GIMP were highlighted. Such
improvements in workflow tend to give the transitioning users a better feeling
and a more positive migration experience.