On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Ofnuts <ofn...@laposte.net> wrote:

> On 02/11/2011 01:02 PM, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
>>> I apologize, you are right. I apparently only added links to
>>> the new context functions from the new selection API.
>>>
>>> It's the new context API, e.g. gimp_context_set_interpolation().
>>> Will add the docs after work today.
>
> Hmmm. What proportion of existing plug-ins working in 2.6 will have to
> be rewritten for 2.8? In my neck of the IT woods, within the same
> version backward compatibility is implied... And if a rewrite is
> necessary we will have to support both versions for quite some time
> (some people fall in love with some plug-ins and won't upgrade Gimp
> until there is a new version  of their beloved plug-in). And do it again
> when 3.0 shows up...

Most existing plug-ins will just work in gimp 2.8 - at least in
non-layer group using images (and
most plug-ins don't care about more than the current layer/drawable,
so these will work anyway, just
not on the group, but on individual layers).

The fact that some procedures are marked as " deprecated" does not
mean they will
stop working in gimp-2.8: they are still there. New plug-ins are
however expected not to use
these calls (an expectation that is strongly enforced by the fact that
the deprecated procedures have their
documentation replaced by a stub)

When the time comes to GIMP 3.0, that is another history - - chanigng
in the major version number
also means it is time to break backwards compatibility, and remove
deprecated functions. But that is not the
case for 2.8.

   js
  -><-