Your mention of a wrapper made me wonder, "what? where?" I don't believe
there was any such thing in the GIMP 2.0. So I looked in the bin directory
and lo and behold! gimp-console-2.6.exe. Apparently now there are separate
executables for GUI and console use. Either there weren't before, or the
pre-compiled binary distro I used didn't include the console version. I
called this from the web page instead of gimp-2.6.exe and problem solved! I
think the official GIMP documentation needs to be updated to reflect this.

All the same, thanks for sharing your friend's wrapper. I will check it out
just in case there are further issues, and it may come in handy for someone
else as well!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to be so helpful and for the really
useful advice.