The best way to think of this, I believe, is as an enhancement of
copy-and-paste.  We are all familiar with the problem that if you make
your selection large enough to include all of an object, you often get
a fringe of unwanted colors.  If you make the selection small enough
to lose the fringe, the object gets unnatural-looking edges.  It ought
to be possible to use the healing concept to make a copy that
suppresses the fringe -- it could never work perfectly, but would be
good enough to be very useful.  It makes more sense, to me, to first
work this out in the context of copy-and-paste before extending it to
tools, which bring in a lot of extra machinery.

  -- Bill