After 4 years on Ubuntu, I am now using Fedora15, but had trouble
building both git and the daily tar ball from

The files and are not included in the rpms
that fedora use and the failed because it couldn't find
those la files.

This reference; says
they are no longer included, and yhis can be confirmed with an rpm

I also found the same with suse-11.4, but can't find their build

The builds I did on Ubuntu-11.04 had no problems and taking from that and from a source build and
placing into fedora's /usr/lib/ directory fixed my immediate problem.

I am pretty sure this is all my problem, but wonder if the .la files
are really needed if fedora (and suse?) are no longer packaging them?