In <gimp-repo>/app/dialogs/about-dialog.c I've got this:
#include "config.h"
#include <string.h>
[...]
#include "about.h"

So I run autogen.sh to generate config.h and about.h and edited the
following two lines in the first file:
#define PACKAGE_STRING "GIMP 2.7.3" > #define PACKAGE_STRING "GIMP
2.7.3+ gitc0208e7-20110818 "
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.7.3" > #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.7.3+
gitc0208e7-20110818"

Can't see anything like version string in about.h so didn't touch it.

After building and installing there's no change in the About window..

--
Thanks,
Tomasz