On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 03:27:54PM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> (btw, can anybody tell me why redhat ignores LANG? and what is this
> LINGUAS thing anyway? maybe because other variables like LC_ALL are also
> set and take precedence?)

You may find this interesting.  Upon launching a shell (before changing
my configuration as described below):

[glyph@helix ~]$ echo $LC_ALL
[glyph@helix ~]$ echo $LANG
[glyph@helix ~]$ echo $LINGUAS

> Ok, try this:
> LC_ALL=fr gimp

I installed the Locale configuration stuff for RH, then set my locale to
fr_FR.  I now have this:

[glyph@helix ~]$ locale
[glyph@helix ~]$ gimp
Message: Passed serialization test

Still, nothing is different!  However,

[glyph@helix ~]$ ls -al /opt/gimp/share/locale/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 glyph    users        4096 Nov 23 18:12 ./
drwxr-xr-x   5 glyph    users        4096 Nov 23 18:12 ../

That can't be good.  I've checked out a recent CVS ... nothing is
installing into the Locale directory!

> BTW: I was just told that redhat 6.1 was released quite some time _before_
> glibc-2.1 was released. Maybe they have used a slightly patched libc? (no
> flame intended)

I don't believe that's true ... when was glibc 2.1 released?  RH 6.1 is
pretty recent.  At least, if my locale is properly set (all those env vars
above), I don't get any "C library does not support locale" messages.

At any rate, all GNU utils print out messages in french now.

Is there something I need to do to get gimp to be localized?  Thanks,