>  (btw, can anybody tell me why redhat ignores LANG? and what is this
>  LINGUAS thing anyway? maybe because other variables like LC_ALL are also
>  set and take precedence?)

Please note that "LANG=de" will not work.  You are missing the country
specifier; you need "LANG=de_DE" for Germany.  Likewise, you would use
"es_MX" for Spanish in Mexico or "es_ES" for Spain.

Please read the libc and gettext documentation for information about

[LINGUAS is used to specify which languages you care about when
installing translations; a French person may not want to have to
install Chinese translations.]