On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 17:03:59 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guillermo S. Romero / Familia
Romero) said:

>>A question about patents. Is putting something on the web enough to
>>prevent someone patenting it, or could someone download my plug-in and
>>then patent the algorithm?

>Your plugin is prior art so patents can not be taken. But web is still a
>weird place, so you will have to convice lawyers that it is your and since
>day X.

>What I would do is to register your plugin (copyright office) or get an
>official stamp (notary? I hope that is the correct word for the guy who does
>that). In other words, an official doc that says that since day X your app
>exists, and is yours.

The best thing I can think of is to have a copy of the source code
notarized and stored in a safe-deposit box.  You could mail it to
yourself, but a notarization is probably stronger legally (because the
notary can testify).

A copyright registration might not be sufficient since you're not
required to deposit the full source code for a TX Unpub registration.
It would provide evidence of prior art, at least; whether it would be
sufficient, I can't say.  Ask a patent lawyer.

Kelly