On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 09:55:26PM -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> He sort of said so, but it wasn't clear to me at first either.  The problem
> is that with the Toolbox squeezed in tight horizontally, the Help menu's
> text button can be squeezed off the right side.  His way, that button is
> butted up against the other menus, so there's a better chance it will at
> least be partially seen (and thus, accessible).

Ah, OK, I was even LESS clear than I thought :(

The HELP menu is always shown in the current system, which would be great
if that didn't mean that you probably can't open Xtns, or in extreme
cases even File, which are FEATURES, whereas Help is just that. Help.

It literally draws "Help" over the top of File/ Xtns because GTK+ doesn't
consider the case where "Right most" conflicts with "Last from left".
We cannot effectively fix this in GTK+ now so we have to either say:

"Well, sometimes all the user can do is read help, better make the first
item in Help Contents 'Hey, where did the menus go?'" That's the
current way Gimp works.
OR
"Well usually everything will fit (*) but when it doesn't Help is the
first to go, because there are plenty of other ways to get Help, such
as Help buttons and F1 context help". This is what will happen if I
move Help to last from the left.

(*) Much more will fit in this case, due a GTK+ quirk, as I showed in
my diagram, you can often write "File Xtns Hel" where only "File  Help"
would fit before. For me, that's reason enough to want this changed.

Nick.