From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:18:53 +0100

   Don't underestimate the importance of the resolution info for the print
   plugin. The following task may not be very professional, but it is
   certainly something the average gimp user does frequently:

   Scan in an image, retouch it, collage it, whatever, then print it.

   When doing this with gimp-1.1.x all parts of the data stream support the
   resolution information. The scanner plug-in uses it, the application gives
   you the necessary infos in realsize units, you may even save and load your
   image in between in a variety of formats. But when you choose to print the
   image, that information carried along all the way is useless, since it is
   simply ignored. We have added the image resolution in 1.1 only to make Gimp
   better suited for printed graphics. CYMK support is still missing, but I
   thought we'd at least manage to integrate the resolution info completely.

Pending a general way to scale images separately on X and Y axes, what
would be your (collective) suggestions about how to handle an image
with different X and Y resolutions?

Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Project lead for The Gimp Print --

--Eric Crampton