On Saturday, 19 Feb 2000, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> Pending a general way to scale images separately on X and Y axes, what
> would be your (collective) suggestions about how to handle an image
> with different X and Y resolutions?

This happens so rarely that I would (for the moment) ignore it.

Assume the Y resolution is the same as the X resolution.

Yes, this is a bug, but it's what (eg) newsprint does.  I need to put
proper asymmetry support into newsprint at some stage.

The main reason gimp uses separate X & Y res is that most file formats
include them both, and in order not to lose information it's important to
preserve the info.

The display code used to update image windows can cope happily with
non-square image pixels.

Austin