On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:44:58AM +0200, Raphael Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> applications.  Well, over the last year I discovered that it was not
> the case and that it was possible to install some GNOME libraries

It is _no longer_ the case, fortunately ;)

> would avoid the duplication of efforts.  For example, using CORBA to
> allow the GIMP to run only in a single instance would be nice.

It would be braindamaged and broken behaviour. This is totally un-unix
behaviour, and I can't remember any application doing such a dumb thing
(except on windows). If gnome does it (uh-oh) it totally lost. What's next,
shared libraries with shared data-segments?

> Oh, by the way, I think that the "single instance" feature should be
> an option.

Yes, the normal non-broken behaviour must be the default. Having a switch
(like netscape) to remote-control the gimp is a nice feature, but that's a
very different concept to singleton-apps.

> running side-by-side on the same machine (but not often, so the
> default should probably be to have only a single instance).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NOT THE BROKEN WINDOWS WAY AGAAAAAIIIIN!

;)