From: Tor Lillqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:02:43 +0300 (FLE Daylight Time)

    > I got now several emails from users with the wish to add XCF reading
    > support in my viewer.

   I don't know if that is a good idea. XCF is really the GIMP's own
   private format for saving images between editing sessions, it is not
   intended for interoperability with other applications. Or what do you
   folks on gimp-developer think?

The last thing the world needs is more undocumented, proprietary file

I realize that "proprietary" has a subtly different meaning from the
closed source world, but it's the same idea.  It does nobody any good
if the file can't be read without firing up the Gimp.