On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 04:14:44PM -0400, Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I realize that "proprietary" has a subtly different meaning from the
> closed source world, but it's the same idea.  It does nobody any good
> if the file can't be read without firing up the Gimp.

If only there were another file format that could be used to store gimp's
information. Sure, we could put the extra info into some iff/tiff/whatever
chunk, but that'll not make the images more readable to other programs.

And, in the future, when the format *might* (or might not...) be extended
so it is easily mmapable (large images) or aquires other similar features,
the idea of "reading/writing xcf images form outside the gimp" might
become totally unfeasible.

ImageMagick already has a sort of xcf-reading function (that requires gimp
to be installed and runnable), btw... It's not very useful, however.