On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:09:59AM -0400, "Marc D. Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >(highly recommended, it's got new cool features ;) better get it from the
> >repository.
>
> Perl 5.6 is listed at the Perl site as 'Stable'.

Ask p5p on how "stable" that is. GSAR (the current pumpkin) didn't intent
to make have listed as stable.

> I know it's still early to use in a production environment, but I want
> to begin to get up the curve.

well, it should work (and does work) here, even with 5.6 (I do not test it
with older versions anymore).

> Gimp 1.1.23
> Gimp-Perl 1.2
> Perl 5.6

Hmm.... looks very fine.

>      useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define
>      use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef usesocks=undef
>      cc='gcc', optimize='-O2', gccversion=egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux

Looks quite fine (well, that compiler is veeeeery old and a lot of bugs
have been found in it).

>      cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'

But they took care of the biggest problem with that compiler. (actually a
perl problem).

This is almost exactly my configuration, except that I using a evry
experimental compiler :*>

So, in short, I have not the slightest idea what's going wrong. Some bugs
in 5.6, however, are known to corrupt memory, so I'd say try with 5.005
and later with 5.6.1.