On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 04:54:39PM +0100, Simon Budig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> checkout of the gimp. Gimp-perl compiled and - after doing a separate
> make install as root in plug-ins/perl it worked.
> (BTW: Why is gimpdoc installed in /usr and not in my PREFIX?)

See README.perl. It's where you told perl to install extensions.

> However, in the desire to keep up to date  :-)  I did an cvs update
> and typed make in the top level source dir.

> Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
> Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
> make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true

this shouldn't happen. what were the exact commands you entered before the
make?

> configure: warning: ** unable to find gimp
> ./configure: no: command not found
> ./configure: no: command not found
> ./configure: test: -lt: unary operator expected

now *that* is strange ;)

> What is happening here? Why does the second build suddenly depend on an

It tries to build as a standalone perl extension (so it tries to find the
gimp). This should not happen as the top-level configure script tells it
not to do so.

Did you configure the gimp tree without perl? What did you do to enable
gimp?  Did you do make distclean and re-run autogen.sh?

> Marc - could you please fix this behaviour so that people with zero
> knowledge about the Gimp-Perl build process could conveniently build

It works for other people, actually, without any knowledge. The problems
only start when people replace Makefiles in the perl directory, usually ;)