[EMAIL PROTECTED] said...

|Actually, no.  Since you were more concerned with professionalism of my
|email rather than actually reading it, you missed the part where I talked
|about this exact problem.

No, the problem had more to do with whether it was worth the effort to
read a long, not so well written rant in detail.  I decided it wasn't.
I skimmed it, and even that felt like a timewaste.

But onwards to your complaint.

|There is a difference between assigning a
|shortcut key to activate a menu item when the menu is not open, and a
|key to operate the menu by using the keyboard.  I know the former is
|easily customizable by pressing the desired key combo while an item is
|selected.  However there is no way to set the last one, without changing
|menu definitions.  Gtk provides the "_" character in gtkitemfactory and
|other places for this purpose.  The top-most menus in Gimp have these
|keys, but anything below does not.  I am talking something like pressing
|Alt-F to open the File menu, then pressing "O" to open the "Open..." menu.
|Or Alt-H to get to Help, then "A" to get the about dialog. etc.  Most of
|you probably don't care though, and that's exactly why my original email
|generated nothing but angry responses.

I believe I've already covered that last issue.  As far as the menus go,
I for one, HATE the kind of shortcuts you're describing.  I have never,
ever seen the point of them.  To me, they are a *total* waste of time.

The current sort of shortcuts work quite well.  I don't recall *ever*
hearing another request (much less flame) that we change this, or even
add your feature.  They may have been a request for that feature, but
it certainly wasn't a big deal like you've made it, or I think we would
all remember it and have addressed it one way or another.

Now, since an awful lot of people seem to be very happy with the way
it is now, the current sortcuts are not likely to go away.

In light of that, would you care to prpose a solution?  There's no
guarantee it would get implemented, without knowing the impact in
terms of effort vs payoff.  But if you suggest a solution, it would
certainly be considered.

|You consider adding this kind of a
|feature a waste of time,

You have no idea what any of us think about anything until you ask us.
(Or provoke us, but how productive is that? 8^)

|and at the same time focus on adding useless non
|customizable features like tearoff menus.

A lot of people like them.  You may not, but that doesn't
make them useless.  They're there because people *wanted* them.
(In fact, they're handled in the Gtk, because people wanted
them.  Have you looked at the Gtk customization, to see
whether they can be turned off?)

|By the way, in the "real world" the features I described above fit under
|the category of "accessibility".  It's about allowing people with
|disabilities to use full features of your program.

Any particular reason you didn't bring this up before?

-Miles, I can spell, but there are probably some typos herein.