On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 04:36:16PM +0100, Tino Schwarze wrote:
> Look at Netscape's shortcuts, e.g. "Close Window".
> - on Sun: ALT-W
> - on Irix: CTRL-W (consistent with other Irix applications)
> - on Linux: ALT-W
> - on Windows: CTRL-W

That's a legacy feature, caused by the Emacs lobby. In modern times the
Emacs lobby is no longer all-powerful and this mis-feature became an
option, so Emacs users can enable it and the rest of us can have a
browser with common UI features across platforms. Mozilla by default
works the same way as all my GNOME apps, the Gimp, and iirc KDE too.
That's pretty consistent I think.

The Emacs lobby will always push to make apps work like Emacs, we can
accomodate them to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, Emacs
is not a true GUI app, and that shows.