I had posted a patch to a bug report to add support for a button to be added to the toolbar for the layer dialog/widget (see https://imgur.com/wkyxoqM), but it's been suggested i post here for starters to start a dialog. So here i go :)

I was wondering what the reticence to having the button there was. Photoshop has a similar feature to add layer masks which avoids having to reach for the menu to enable it.

It was originally suggested i just make a keyboard shortcut but for me and i would think for a lot of people that would not be exactly feasible. I already have too many apps that could make use of that and too few keys on the keyboard i could de-allocate from them as-is :)

For me and most folks coming from photoshop who may give GIMP a try would find this slowing us down considerably in our work flow (especially when working on composites where masking is heavily used).

Hence why i came up with a patch to add a button to add them from the interface and opened a bug report for that.

Having said that, i've spent the week since pondering an alternative that could solve everyones dilemma, which would be to add the ability to ctrl-click the selected layer to enable a layer mask (which if that were added, it would be trivial add the opposite effect to remove the layer mask by also ctrl-clicking).

I haven't looked at the code yet (been busy with this whole icon themes business lol) so not sure how feasible/work it involves but if it will never get added there isn't much point for me to go on and try to implement it.

So here we are, what do you all think?