Hi!

On 2017-12-20 11:41, marty wrote:
lol. I love open source development, but sometimes it is humorous the
rabbit holes it goes down.  Of all the tweaks I'd like to see to GIMP
gui, the splash screen is probably the last thing on the list that
matters to me and completely unrelated to actually using GIMP.
 First thing on my list?

This is a public mailing list, which means that *anyone* can write *anything* here. If someone makes an email about the splash screen, it does not mean that it is the "first thing" on anyone's list (not even the poster as far as I know; one can make an email on something which is not own's higher priority!), and especially it does not mean that it is the first thing on developer's list. ;-)

Making the "export / export as" file type
sticky to whatever one chose last, or some mechanism that allows some
sense continuity of export file type during a workflow across several
imported images.  At least a hot key to select previously used type.
All the fiddly clicking with the mouse to select the same file type
one selected 5 minutes ago is tedious.

I think there is a bug report about this. It's not as simple as remembering the last export file type, since some other people don't want the last format to be remembered (for instance, you export 99% as JPEG, but just this one time, you need to export a TIFF. The next time you open an image, you will still want to see JPEG as default again and not TIFF).

But you are definitely right that this can be improved (as many things!). Maybe this could be a preference settings where you can choose your default export format (among the whole list of formats or set as "last export format").

I guess I should look into this.

 Which reminds me, how does one support development on GIMP?

As Alexandre sent already, the various options are: https://www.gimp.org/donating/ In particular, (self-advertisement warning!) as the donation page notes, 2 developers are crowdfunding to try and live from Free Software coding, and I am one of them. ;-) See also my signature for links to the funding (it's not only on Patreon).

Jehan

 Rgds,
 Marty