---- Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com> wrote:
> On 11/7/11 3:03 AM, John Thurgood wrote:
> > I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to
>  > operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?
> To paraphrase The Rolling Stones, "We can't get no, satisfaction."
> At my next Mac User Group meeting, we'll be having a presentation on Mac
> graphics software.  I'll be noting the lack of interest from the Gimp
> community in providing assistance.
> A year or so ago, I couldn't get 2.6 to work under Win 7 Home Premium,
> either.
> FWIW, I've located another open source editing program, Seashore.
> Appears to be less powerful than Gimp, but it will do what I need.

Sorry for your "perceived" lack of response, but I don't have a Mac, so really
can't help much.
Likewise, I have no proof, but would expect that most of the users on this list
*nix or Windows users.

Also note, that while you give a "bit"(and by that, I mean a tiny bit) more
the OP said "I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot
get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?" to which a
was made less than a day later saying to the effect of "hey, you did not give
anywhere NEAR enough information to help you" and yet the OP has made no

Also note that since GIMP does not create binaries for any OS, we have no idea
HOW you
or the OP installed GIMP.  If you installed via a binary distribution, the
creator is probably
the person to whom your requests for assistance should originate first.  The OP
does not even
say that much... we have no idea if he downloaded a binary install package from
somewhere OR
if he downloaded the source code and just does not know any better that he
needs to compile...
again, we just don't know because his request for help was FAR to vague.
Typically, such
issues (as noted by another reply) are due to missing dependencies that YOU
will need to
fulfill, and sometimes, a person who builds an install rarely does so on a
"fresh" build
and thus they may have some such dependencies already pre-installed(such as the
a fore mentioned
X11 that Mac no longer installs by default.. or at least that is my
understanding...which could
very well be wrong!!!!) or they installed for some other reason and did not
know that it was a
dependency(or even a->b->c->d->e for that matter!).   I know every time I
rebuilt my machine,
I have to spend probably 1-2 hours installing all of the dependencies "before"
I can compile
the actual GIMP package.

What I do know is that I have seen a site dedicated to GIMP on Mac(they have
the binary install
package), and I would highly expect your "install/error" issues to get far more
there than this list which is much more general and targeted toward GIMP