On 11/12/2011 03:16 PM, David Young wrote:
Good Morning, all!

I am a newbie to this list, so please forgive me if this question has been
asked before.

I use GIMP exclusively for the "tweaking" of digital photographs.  For several
years, I have been more than happy with it's performance.

However, over the last year or more, I've discovered a problem.

If I open my jpg images (made using Silkypix, from .dng (raw) camera files)
using, say, Faststone Image Viewer (or any other program) everything is fine.

But when I open a .jpg file with GIMP, it now takes about 12 to 14 seconds to
do so, and every time I get the following error messages.

Plug-in crashed: "metadata.exe"
(C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\metadata.exe)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may
want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

Execution error for procedure 'plug-in-metadata-decode-xmp':
Procedure 'plug-in-metadata-decode-xmp' returned no return values

I then save the file and restart GIMP as suggested.  After saving, the file
will open promptly,without any error messages.

I have used both Silkypix and GIMP for my images for over 5 years ... so
nothing has changed, there... and I have had had this problem under Win-XP and
now Win-7.

Has anybody else experienced this problem with Metadata.exe? Is there a
solution to this most annoying problem?

Many thanks for any and all help.

Best regards,

For some reason the plugin won't run, or behaves strangely trying to read metadata from JPEG produced by Silkypix.

If JPEGs from other origins load fine, then the problem is with some metadata produced by Silkypix, get ready to submit a bug and attach a SilkyPix JPEG.

If this happens with all JPEGs, then you may have a corrupted metadata.exe (see error message for actual location). Check that its modification date is coherent with the other Gimp plugins and that its creation date is the same as the other plugins. If not, reinstall Gimp.