On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:27:22 -0500
Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Tom Cranston <thomas.w.crans...@gmail.com> [12-20-11
> 02:41]:
> > On earlier versions of Gimp, up to Ver 2.6.8 you can use
> > SCSI scanner. No fooling around getting drivers, etc.
> >
> > I have been running Gimp on different versions of Linux.
> > That might be why I did not have too fool around hunting
> > down and installing drivers.
> >
> > On 2.6.8, (Ubuntu 10.04)I can scan:
> >
> > File - Create - XSane - Device dialog
> >
> > On earlier Gimp versions it was:
> >
> > File - Acquire - XSane - Device dialog
> >
> > It might be a matter of semantics as to whether or not
> > Gimp does the scanning, but I have always been able to
> > start a scan w/SCSI from Gimps File Menu.
>
> Not a matter of semantics but fact.  Gimp *can* interface
> with other programs to provide an interface for other
> functions, scanning.
>
> But you have provided your *own* hint to the solution.
> Doesn't "XSane" in your examples give you a clue?
> Install xsane in your present distro and use the distro's
> setup application to setup your scanner.
>
> Your lack of scanning ability probably stems from using a
> "LiveCD" which is space crippled/doesn't include xsane.
>

> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana,
> USA      HOG # US1244711 http://wahoo.no-ip.org
> Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE
> Community Member Registered Linux User
> #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net

Xsane is already installed in the distro, It can be
accessed via the command line:

sane-find-scanner

Gimp 2.6.11 however does not list it under it's menu
options like it used to.

I was using the live CD because I wanted see if I liked the
distro. I did not want to go to the trouble of installing
it  only to find that I did not like it.

I was able to run the scanner from an older version of Gimp
on another live distro (Knoppix)

Tom