Hi!

GIMP needs a platform on the Mac called X11. Thats the usual way how GIMP
works on MAC.

You'll should find a GIMP icon in your program folder (in the finder).

The virtual external drive is also a normal thing and appears everytime you
install any program on your mac.

Just get to know to your new environment and you will see that this are not
GIMP specific questions but Mac-questions ;)

enjoy,
t.