On 12/19/2011 4:47 AM, Robert Duffield wrote:
Hi all, I'm trying to switch from PC to iMac and having all sorts of trouble.
> Last night I downloaded a copy of GIMP 2.6 and had it running on my iMac. It seemed
> to come with some other application called "X11"
which I can still see in Finder today but can't work out what it does. However
I can't find any
trace of GIMP 2.6. Last night it appeared to be on a virtual external drive,
from which I couldn't create a shortcut on the desktop. Today it's vanished.
Can anyone help me out here? Is there some part of the install that I've missed?

I saw your post when you first posted it, but I'd hoped someone far more knowledgeable would post a reply regarding X11.

And, I'm not that expert.   lol

I couldn't get Gimp or Inkscape to run on my Mac. Both apps require X11. I got help at the following locations:

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

I would start with the lists.apple.com, that's where I got the answer to my problem.

Apparently, there is some relationship between X11 and Xquartz, but I don't understand it at all.

Good luck.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8