Steve Kinney wrote:

The other day I spent a couple of hours looking through this book at
the library:

Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional by Akkana Peck

As it happens, I've recommended this book in past threads to other users, and am glad to see Steve's recommendations, too. Couple of points to mention: there are two editions to the book, the first edition used GIMP 2.4; the second GIMP 2.6. If you're buying it, the second edition is probably the one to get.

Also, the publisher used to have (and as far as I know, still does) the policy that if you purchase the print version, you can get the digital version for a nominal fee. This has proved useful to me; I've several Apress titles, and when I travel, I can carry a reference library on a thumb drive, or micro SD card, and not have to carry a briefcase full of reference books.

Finally, Akkana is a list member, which permits me to say, "Thank you."