>hi all,

>i am new to gimp and could really use some help.

>i have pictures of several shirt fabrics which i need to crop. this is easy.
>however, i need to add an effect that will make the edges appear to be a
>zigzag shape. see link below. look at the edges of the picture (including the
>shadow). this is the type of image effect i'm looking for.

>http://www.customshop.com/shop/apparel/custom-mens-dress-shirts/custom-dress-shirts.html?pattern=127

>does anyone know how to do this? please help if possible.

>thanks

As you can see from the other posts this is not an easy task to explain.

I think the easiest way is to make a set of zigzag brushes.
so you would need to know how to make those, not so easy for a beginner
then use them to nibble away at the edges not as a brush but with the eraser
tool.

Other things you will need to know, how to add transparency.
something like this  http://i.imgur.com/DKB8a.jpg

Then comes the drop shadow, gimp has this filter already.
but you will need to know how to make a selection and invert it.
Finally you might need to convert the transparency back to some other colour
(or not)
like this  http://i.imgur.com/zag9p.jpg

the two brushes + copies of the screenshots about half-a-MB
https://rapidshare.com/files/74511304/swatch.zip

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)