Some slideshow programs use EXIF-data to determine orientation and
rotate images automatically. If you only change orientation and leave
EXIF-data unaltered the rotated image will be presented in  landscape
view as before.

I have a liittle perl script here, not only reducing image  sizes of
multiple  images, but also rotating selcected images , determined by a
tabbed list. It uses image magick, but it could be modified using perl gimp.
The program also uses EXIF-data to set modification date, so a slide
show in chronological order is enabled.

Have a lot of fun.

Documentation isn't quite ready.