There should be some response if the tablet itself will actually move the
mouse. If it clicks, it should be received by the GIMP. The other thing you
have to do to get the GIMP to read your tablet is enable it in the user
preferences. This is under Edit>preferences  Then go to the label that says
Extended Input Devices. From there it's not so bad.