Hi Bernd,

Gimp originally hung up when I accidentally tried to save a VERY large
file. After waiting a few minutes I used the Task Manager to end the Gimp
process. i tried restarting Gimp immediately and the startup error occurred
exactly as it has ever since. I don;t think I loaded any other software
between shutting down and restarting.

I tried sweeping the registry using Glary Utilities between one of
my re-installation efforts. Though it found a few hundred registry errors
including many gimp-related keys, my subsequent re-installation met the
same ignominious fate.

Thanks,

Evan