Hi there again

I want to make colouring book pictures for my students from photographs of
themselves (want to see kids get excited about something - give them a picture
of themselves to colour in).  Right now I am using the cartoon filter,
desaturating the image and then painstakingly selecting by colour, each
greyscaled set of pixels and then cutting them so that in effect, the image
becomes a traced black and white image.  I am wondering if there is an easier
way to do this - I have tried using the threshold and levels filters - but I
find that it makes the image too pop-arty, like those Che Guevara type T-shirt
graphics.  Ideally I want to literally make the image look like colouring book
picture or a stamp. Is there an easier way to do that without having to pick
and delete the greyscaled parts of the image? Any help would be appreciated.

NoviceGimper (via gimpusers.com)