Hi Brent,

This is pretty simple in terms of getting the selected area with this particular image:

Load the image into gimp.
Choose the color selection tool.
Set Threshold to 30
Click on the darker green area.
At least for your sample map, that got everything. Note that the color on your sample map is not uniform, which is why the threshold has to be upped from the default (15) to 30. If it doesn't get everything, start over (undo the last operation or exit and start over), up the threshold some more and click on missing areas until you get them all. This works relatively pain-free because there is no similar green anywhere in the image.

Edit/Copy to copy the selected area.
Select/None to deselect everything

File/New
  Click to expand "Advanced Options"
Set "Fill with" to transparency
Edit/Paste
  You should have just the green areas

Close the window containing the original image

If you don't have the layers dialog open, bring it up.
You should see a "Floating Selection"
Click the anchor button along the bottom (next to the trashcan) to anchor the pasted stuff into the background.

File/Save