On 11-12-26 03:32 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Patrick ->  Patricius ->  patrician ->Honourable Man

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) lists the definition as "an aristocrat or nobleman" with a North American specific meaning of "a member of a long-established wealthy family". A third definition given is "a member of a noble family or class in ancient Rome".

Gimp ->  A flat trimming of silk; A physically disabled person; A
sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a
leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains
Likewise, when I hear the sound "gi mp" I am reminded of this:
[snipped link to short clip from the movie "Pulp Fiction"]

BTW, neither the OED nor the Oxford American Dictionary include the fetish related definition for the word "gimp".

What I find interesting is how that small scene in the movie made such a big impact in the minds of some people. It had been quite a while since I first saw the film. I had to go back and watch it again to find this supposed connection with the film everyone kept talking about now and then on this list.