Replying to all at once here:

It is easy to remove the white

background in the image. Right

click the
image, then select Layer ->

Transparency -> Colour to Alpha...

then click OK. .........

GimpDummy: Thanks Kevin that worked too. I am looking at the option to colourfy.
Do you know if there is a wider range of colors that we can
colourfy with?

James: I'd recommend doing Color > Levels first, then making sure the black
is as black as you want. Otherwise if it's dark gray (not quite
black), that will translate to partially-transparent when you do the
Color to Alpha.
You could also do Color > Levels and adjust alpha layer after. Either way.

GimpDummy: This is a good point you raise here James about what to do when some
of the colour on my image is patchy. Obviously the answer lies in your
instructions somewhere except I can't figure out how to use that Levels
instrument to darken up the image to a consistent black?

Isn't that a good thing? Then you get a soft edge that blends well on other
backgrounds rather than a hard edge that looks like jagged crap.
Frank Gore

GimpDummy:  Thanks Frank I will consider that option too.

GimpDummy (via