I'm sure this newbie question has been answered before, but I can't seem to
find the answer, so here it is again. Does anyone know where I can find a
tutorial on how to put a border/outline around text that results in non-rounded
effect?

Grow rounds the corners and I understand the reason why it does this, but the
result I'm looking for is a crisp outline where a letters like A, E, F, T, W,
V, Z, etc... in an Arial type font have hard corners in the outline, not
rounded.

For example, if I was to put an 8 pixel wide outline on the word TEXT that was
in an Arial font it would have a an outline that is just 8 pixels on the flats
of the character, but would extend the correct number of pixels to meet the
adjacent edge's outline in the corners, creating a hard corner.

I hope this makes sense.  I found many tutorials on YouTube for the grow
technique, but not this.  I even tried to do this in InkScape, but you end up
with the same results, rounded corners in the outline.

--
reyahtbor (via gimpusers.com)