> Regarding the suggestions: I think I've played with levels enough
> without results.  On the other hand, I don't know about the layer mask
> approach.  From my limited abilities, I can only see that layer masks
> modulate the opacity of the resulting image after having applied some
> filter to a duplicate layer, whereas I want to modulate the input
> parameters of a "filter" (threshold) to the original layer.
Here is the way I compensate for such exposure  when you know the
background should all be one colour:

1) Duplicate your source layer.
2) Select the duplicate layer and run Filters->Generic-> Dilate.
3) Repeat the dilate (ctrl-f) until the (black) print is gone. (For your
sample I did it three times)
4) Apply a larger radius Gaussian blur (10 times the number of dilates you
did seems to work for me, so in this case, 30px)
5) This layer is kind of a low-pass filter version of your page with the
text removed.  Set this layer to grain extract to kind of remove it from
the original.
6) Do Layer->New from Visible to get the composite.
7) Now go and play with levels/curves/thresholding.

Note this works best with low noise images (i.e. tiff or png is better than
jpeg) and higher resolution scans...

Here is what I ended up with:

-Rob A>