On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> This use case does not explain why it makes sense for the first time you
> save a file you loaded from JPG, the command is "Overwrite", which has no
> key binding, and after that first time the "Overwrite" command disappears
> and is replaced by "Export" and "Overwrite" is no longer available.
>
> This use case does not explain why it makes sense for an image which was
> loaded from JPG, was never an XCF, and does not have multiple layers, to
> default to saving as XCF rather than JPG.
>
> This use case does not explain why it makes sense for an image which was
> loaded from JPG, was never an XCF, and is saved back to the JPG from which
> it was loaded, to be considered unsaved and modified when you try to quit
> from GIMP.
>
> Aside from all of that, what percentage of the GIMP user base is "designers"
> for whom this functionality makes sense? The GIMP web site lists "photo
> retouching" first on the list of tasks that GIMP is good for, which would
> seem to imply that it is also the most common task that GIMP is used for,
> and the new interface is vastly inferior to the old for that task.

I thought of the best reply to all of this, and I think the shortest
way to explain it is to tell you that you are probably not a targeted
GIMP user.

Further reading:

http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification

By the way, you can freely map any shortcut to any menu command. Try it :)

Other than that, if you don't do complex work and don't care about
accidentally not saving non-destructive changes such as layers and
masks, perhaps you don't really need GIMP. There is a fair amount of
free image editors that will suit simpler workflows just fine.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org