On Thursday 03 May 2012 10:15:29 Jay Smith wrote:

> when editing a JPG, repeatedly
> saving/exporting to JPG (your step 4) reduces the quality (actually
> compresses / deletes data).

  Having been away I've just been reading this thread, and would like to
add my wish to those others who are unhappy at the sudden change in the
Save dialogue.
   In my case, I am  not "repeatedly saving/exporting' to JPG", but only
once per image (to write annotation), and I would guess that applies to
many other users of Gimp - though possibly a minority.
   Having thus introduced myself to the wonderful Gimp, I am tempted to
go on to make use of more powerful functions.

Is there really no room for a simple compromise that would satisfy both
the more professional and the more casual users?

   "Where there's a will there's a way"...

Regards,
--
/\/\aurice (Retired in Surrey, UK)