>In other words, just when we got rid of disruptive warnings you are
>siggesting to return one of them and add another one so that the first
>one wouldn't feel lonely? :)

>Alexandre Prokoudine

I never found the "need to flatten layers before exporting" warnings to be
particularly disruptive. Would be nice to have an option to suppress it, but it
was doing it's job and warning me that I would be losing layers, etc. As
someone else said, LibreOffice handles this perfectly with a single warning
when you try to save a file in a non-native format.

I do use .XCF files and it is a good format. But that is only 10-20% of the
files I work on and I certainly don't want to use it as an intermediary format
on every image I edit.

It seems to me that the issue is less about the mechanics of saving/exporting
and more about the implied repositioning of GIMP itself. It was/is a high-end
image editor supporting multiple formats including it's own comprehensive one.
With this change however you seem to be saying that you are now a powerful .XCF
editor that can import/export other formats too. The replies above saying maybe
people should be using other software for pure jpeg edits back this feeling up.
The message we general users get from that is simple - "Use mainly .XCF files,
or live with the discomfort, or leave". It is a clear split in the userbase and
the aggression behind people opposing the change is understandable.

--
DanBrown (via gimpusers.com)