This is a feature I learned about on IRC from Alexia Death.  I have to
thank her a TON for actually spending the time to really dig into
what I was saying to show me the the new tagging feature actually did
almost exactly what I was complaining about(I had said tagging was "OK"
but I prefer the way the GURM plug-in allowed for natural folder based

In any event, if you point GIMP to a folder:

My Brushes

And that folder has sub folders named:

GIMP will AUTOMATICALLY create tags for those sub folders for very quick
organization of your resources.   THIS is a super feature for me, and I
LOVE it!!!!

Joe Frazier, Jr.