Yes, I would switch it off if it hadn't been switched off already (see my
linked image in earlier post). Anyway currently doing what Richard said. At
least Gimp won't save the position.
But it sure sounds like a bug. I have further inspected my problem and it seems
Gimp has a minimal window size that will resize to no matter what preferences I
set for it.
To reproduce the bug:
1. make singlemode window,
2. Resize Gimp's window the smallest you can (for me it's 454x591)
2. switch off zoom & resize behavior,
3. drag and drop (or file/open) an oversized image on Gimp,
4. Boom! Resized window!
I just wish I know where to look for this in the source files. :/

berniek (via