I'm not sure if this is the right place for asking questions, but I figured
it's better than asking in the developer mailing list.
*
*
*1. Is there a "show quick mask" feature for showing masks?*
*
*

I know Gimp has a "*Show quick mask*" feature which shows what you have
(and haven't) selected by displaying a red overlay over your image,
allowing you to add to or subtract from a selection by using the
paintbrush, but I haven't found a similar feature for showing masks.

Photoshop has this feature (it's called 'reveal mask' I think) and it
basically just shows a red overlay of your mask on your image so that,
similar to the quick mask feature in Gimp, you can see where you have and
haven't masked through.

(I don't own Photoshop so I'm not sure if the red overlay shows the opacity
with which you've masked through or whether or not you can edit the mask
when it's being shown as a red overlay.)

*2. Is there a command for showing the layer underneath the current layer
I'm working on?*
*
*

This is another feature that I've seen Photoshop has that is helpful for
blending multiple exposures (and lots of things, really).

Basically it's just a keyboard shortcut for showing the layer underneath
your current when you hold down a certain keyboard command (it's not
something you toggle since it's meant for quickly viewing what's on the
layer underneath your current one).

I know I can press space bar to show or hide the layer I'm currently
working on, but I can't do that unless I focus into the layers dialogue
first. It'd be nice if I could activate that functionality from anywhere,
regardless of whether I'm focused on the layers dialogue.

 * * *
Do either of these features exist in Gimp?

If not, where can I make suggestions about them?

*Disclosure: neither of these are original ideas from me. I saw these
features when watching a video of someone using Photoshop and then wondered
if I could do the same thing in Gimp. *