2012/5/20 Bruce <speakwithbr...@gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place for asking questions, but I figured
> it's better than asking in the developer mailing list.
> 1. Is there a "show quick mask" feature for showing masks?
> I know Gimp has a "Show quick mask" feature which shows what you have (and
> haven't) selected by displaying a red overlay over your image, allowing you
> to add to or subtract from a selection by using the paintbrush, but I
> haven't found a similar feature for showing masks.

[I'm deleting what tells about Photoshop, which simply will complicate
the explanations].

GIMP's selection masks are called channels, and accessed using the
Channels dialog. In this dialog, there is an eye icon in the leftmost
part of every channel line, for showing or hiding it. You can also
change the color used for making the channel visible.

> 2. Is there a command for showing the layer underneath the current layer I'm
> working on?
> This is another feature that I've seen Photoshop has that is helpful for
> blending multiple exposures (and lots of things, really).
> Basically it's just a keyboard shortcut for showing the layer underneath
> your current when you hold down a certain keyboard command (it's not
> something you toggle since it's meant for quickly viewing what's on the
> layer underneath your current one).
> I know I can press space bar to show or hide the layer I'm currently working
> on, but I can't do that unless I focus into the layers dialogue first. It'd
> be nice if I could activate that functionality from anywhere, regardless of
> whether I'm focused on the layers dialogue.

Pressing the space bar only works in the current layer. Otherwise
there is the eye icon. But you could attach a new keyboard shortcut to
the function you need. Use Image: Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts, expand
the Layers list, and attach a shortcut to the function needed,,, which
unfortunately does not exist.
Olivier Lecarme